Friday, April 17, 2009

The American Dream

I chose to do Kim's webquest, and this is my response.

United States of America and her American Dream. How romantic? Or is it? Ever since the pilgrimage, there has always been a level of an "American Dream": a new life, full of opportunities, and in the end, success. However, I have noticed, first hand, how the American Dream is now full of empty promises and fake images. I am Korean. An immigrant. My parents came to the States thinking we'd be living in a pretty white house, with a lush green lawn, and a successful job that would pay for my education (which was another main reason for immigrating). My house is not pretty nor white. It's old and in a dire need for a new paint job. My yard is also in need of a lot of work, and both my parents must work full time, seven days a week, in order to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table, and a college education for me. Little did my parents realize that when we first moved here, that our lives would end up like this.
My family in Korea was the average middle class family. My mom was able to afford to open her own clothing line - a dream that is very unrealistic now. My dad could comfortably design houses and buildings without having to worry about a language barrier, getting in trouble by the law, and even discrimination. And as they both held jobs that they were very happy with, I always got birthday presents and dinners, new back-to-school clothes, and even family trips every two months or so. And I wish I can have all those luxuries here in America, but they've disappeared. This year for my 18th birthday, I didn't get a present from my parents. And it has been years since we've been on a family vacation to anywhere. My parents don't like to admit it, but they believe that our life would've been much more comfortable in Korea. But, I thought all this plus more was a given in an American Dream. We've been fooled. 
And I'm sure there are many other immigrants out there who think the same way. The "ooh" factor of the American Dream has disappeared. It is simply an empty shell that is fake and gives barely anything. The economy these days definitely contributes to this empty shell, but why it is really hollow is a complete mystery to me. I believe that my parents have now given up on the American Dream. For now, their concentration has refocused to earning enough money through any possible means to pay for my college. As you can see, for my family, the American Dream no longer exists, and the United States of America is no longer appealing. So, where did the American dream go? If anyone can find it, please let me know.